CJT

Tim R. wrote:
Y'know, now that you mention it, the pitch of the flyback does change in
frequency every once in a while when the set's first turned on, but I never
thought anything of it.

Regards,

Tim

No guarantees, but that's where I'd start.

"CJT" wrote in message

Tim R. wrote:

I inherited Grandma's old Zenith TV set from the early 80s and for the

most

part it works like new. However, sometimes when you first turn the set

on,

or maybe after a few minutes of use, the picture will turn to snow and
static on every channel. It will stay like this for anywhere from a few
seconds to ten minutes, and then will snap out of it. After this the TV

set

will work fine, with no problems whatsoever, until you turn it off and

let

it sit for a while. Then it may or may not come back.

I believe there is an intermittant component somewhere that is causing

this;

maybe a faulty varistor that won't work properly unless it's at a

certain

temp. My belief that this problem lies somewhere in the RF stages, since

the

display and audio are fine.

Where would I begin to look for trouble on this set?

I have extensive knowledge of vacuum tube devices, but transistors and
smaller are unfamiliar territory to me.

Regards,

Tim

Take off the cover and turn the set on in a dark room. Watch for corona
discharge around the high voltage section and picture tube.