Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:28:32 GMT, Dan wrote:

On Sun 26 Dec 2004 05:47:09a, "foggytown" wrote in
oups.com:

I got a dovetail jig for Christmas! Frankly, it looks pretty
complicated and formidable (the type of tool that just looks like it
requires considerable foreknowledgde to even start to use it, I mean),
and I hadn't planned to make anything requiring drawers anyway. But
the gift giver will be upset if I don't at least give it a try
so-o-o-o-o . . . Now I've found a good use for those scraps of 3/8"
stock I kept. Practice time!

Please, if anyone has any general hints and helps on this beast . . .
now's the time, guys!

As has been mentioned, there's a few of those out there and they're all
different, so tips would have to be specific to the brand.

As a piece of trivia, however, the teacher for the last class I had at
Woodcraft said he'd bought the Leigh jig and he figured it took him well
over twenty shop hours to learn how to use the thing. He was of the opinion
that even though it had a multitude of uses it was still a bit
overcomplicated for his taste.

I just used mine for half-blind drawer assembly. I'm still not satisfied
with fit. I think the primary problem I had is too much eccentricity in
the router bit (i.e, not centered well relative to the guide bushing). The
other problem I'm having is that I'm getting a gap on the pin side, don't
know yet whether it is flexure while routing, or something else. I did
find that waxing the fingers helped a lot in guiding the router.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry