Phil Kangas

Interesting link there, kklein! I'm surprised more posters
have not
paid more attention to the phenomena of supercooling! That
is
more interesting to me. I have seen this _many_ times in my
sauna,
a separate building out back, in the water pails. The temp
can go
down into the upper twenties and the water in the pails is
not frozen
but all it takes is the slightest movement and the water
crystallizes
completely to the bottom! When it's cold I'll check the
pails to see
if they are ice and if not I'll swirl the bucket with a
kauhaa and within
minutes it is possible to invert the pail leaving a block of
solid ice on
the bench! The thing is the water must cool very slowly and
in total
calm conditions, even vibrations will trigger the freezing.
I've been
told that even dropping in a single grain of sand is enough
to do it
but I haven't tried that yet.
Phil Kangas
N 46 d 53.045'
W 88 d 51.717'

"kklein" wrote in message
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

"Rettgerinc" wrote in message
Hello Everybody,

Merry Christmas from Pittsburgh, PA

It is getting cold here! And I just started a new job

with a company
that
does plumbing, heating, and cooling (I am not the

plumber for I studied
the
heating and cooling and refrigeration)

Big question!
When the outside temps cause the various inside pipes

to freeze and there
are
both hot and cold pipes that have similar exposure, is

the hot pipe going
freeze first?