Patriarch

wrote in news:1103925214.818457.78120
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Looking to purchase a set but have not seen anything written up about
them.
Has anyone purchased them? How are they

Popular Woodworking called them the best chisels in the western world,
wishing to avoid an argument over the Japanese selection.

I bought a set, and love them. They are spendy, but unless my grandkids
lose them, they will get to figure out which of them gets the set when
I'm not longer on this side of the river...

Can you get good results with a less expensive tool? Yes, but my
Marples get used for rougher work these days, and had to be resharpened
much more frequently than these LN beauties. I have set of hardware
store name brand looks like Stanley carpenter's chisels for the rough
work.

$50 per chisel seemed expensive, until I saw what the wood carvers had
invested in their sets.

Can you do well as a rust hunter and restorer? Yes, IF you learn what
you are seeking, and like the hunt. But while the saws from my
grandfather's barn were a find, the chisels were junk. I don't do flea
markets. Saturday mornings are for making things in the shop, not
finding new projects. YMMV.

Patriarch,
trending down the galootish path...