On 25 Dec 2004 06:05:22 GMT, Ignoramus10474
wrote:

a hot pipe never freezes.

Technically you may be right - but the hot water pipe, when it cools
down, most definitely does.
And what a mess it makes when it does!!!!
The heaters in my brother's shop went out one extremely cold winter
weekend. The water pipes, back then, were strapped directly to the
concrete block wall (they are now strapped out about 2 inches) and
when the pipes froze and split a SMALL amount of water worked it's way
down the pipes. The water heater was only a matter of a few feet away
- and as soon as SOME water started to move, hot water got to the
split and soon there was a spray of VERY hot water shooting in all
directions - little more than a geiser of wet steam - which froze in a
veil over EVERYTHING.
I think it was breaking ice setting off the alarm that caught his
attention.

On 25 Dec 2004 02:02:35 GMT, Rettgerinc wrote:
Hello Everybody,
Merry Christmas from Pittsburgh, PA

It is getting cold here! And I just started a new job with a company that
does plumbing, heating, and cooling (I am not the plumber for I studied the
heating and cooling and refrigeration)

Big question!
When the outside temps cause the various inside pipes to freeze and there are
both hot and cold pipes that have similar exposure, is the hot pipe going to
freeze first?