Franc Zabkar

On 23 Dec 2004 19:54:09 -0800, "Zephy" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

A flagwaving issue - is that related to the jingoism issue?

http://www.videofortes.com.br/glossa...ideo_terms.htm

Flagwaving --- The sideways pulling and fluttering seen at the top of
a TV picture caused by a skew misadjustment or some other tape tension
error.

Some early TV sets required a mod (eg a jumper wire) so that they
would sync properly with VCRs. Others had a special channel optimised
for VCR use.

I couldn't get any of them to work with a DVD source (a PowerBook
laptop running a DVD - that's all I have). In any case, it's more than
jitters at the top of the screen: neither horizontal or vertical sync.
work. They roll in both direction, at increasing or irregular rates,
and there is and increase/decrease in brightness.

I noticed on the two that don't work properly that the TDA1180P IC is
getting very warm - almost too hot to touch - while with the two that
work, they don't get very warm.

The datasheet for the TDA1180P specifies an absolute maximum supply
voltage of 15V. Is your +12V supply really +12, ie is it regulated? If
not, is it also possible that 50/60/100/120Hz ripple from your supply
is affecting the IC?

- Franc Zabkar