Jim Adney

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:43:43 GMT Tom MacIntyre
wrote:

Sorry, Sam, you should've really paid attention to the "been there"
part...I have had a situation like this arise, and within the past 25
years, with fairly new (at the time) equipment. While attaching a
video cable between 2 pieces of Telidon equipment in 1983, the lights
dimmed, a growling noise occured, and smoke emanated from one of the
units. A meter check revealed that one plug was wired in reverse.

I'm not familiar with that brand. Where was it made? Was this consumer
type equipment or specialized video test equipment?

I agree with both you and Sam. You apparently have a counterexample,
but Sam is right that this should never have happened. It's possible
that your experience was the result of two problems: a reversed outlet
AND an internal fault in one of the units.

BTW, I have an early 50s Knight "Space Spanner" that has a chassis
which is hot no matter which way you plug in the power cord, and this
set was even sold without a case. The manual warns against trying to
operate it on your kitchen sink, but it doesn't explain why.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA