Jerry Martes

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article i9kzd.5978$1U6.1462@trnddc09, says...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article 5Hhzd.6464$h.4018@trnddc04,
says...

I half filled two identical drinking glasses with water.and placed
them
in
the freezer. one glass had 60 degree water and the other had 80 degree
water. It took a little over an hour for the "cold tap filled" glass
form crystals while the "warm water filled" was still without
crystals.
The
odd part was that both waters were at the same temperature after 1
hour
and
15 minutes, yet the cold water filled was much more crystalized. Go
figure!!

Toying with us again, Jerry, or just trolling? g

Ned

I must have been obscure with my explanation about testing the theory
that
"hot water" will freeze more quickly than "cold water".
I assume the theory is correct, but only under special-limited
conditions.

Tell me what I made obscure, or 'trolllike'.

Jerry

I got the feeling you were being coy about the reason the two glasses
were stuck at the same temperature -- the large heat of fusion of water.
Was I mistaken?

Ned

I was real doubtfull that warm water from the hot water tap would freeze
before cooler water taken from the cold water tap, so I tested it. I
began the test with one glass at 60 degrees and the other at 80 degrees.
It took about an hour and a quarter for the 1/2 full 'glass of water'
began to develop crystals. Both glasses were placed close together and in
the same environment. I measured the water temperature at about every 15
minutes. As you'd expect, the water from the warm water tap was always
warmer than the water from the cold water tap. But after about an hour the
difference between the two temperatures was undetectable with my
thermometer. But crystals did form in the glass that had been filled from
the cold water tap.

I wouldnt br surprized to,learn that there is a chemical difference in the
two waters. Something probably boils out of the water in the hot water
heater.

It actually surprized me that *my* water freezed the water from the cold
water tap first. I suspect Bill's water from the warm water tap has had
changed in some way thats different from the change in *my* water.

I have heard about this "Hot water freezes before cold water" in 1949 when
I was in the USAF, in Alaska. I never could accept the validity of that
statement. But I do know that there are conditions where the convection
currents within the hot water container serve to distribute the temperature.
And, it might be that the hot water had some gasses boiled out thereby
providing a better condition for freezing.
I had always thought the "hot water freezes quicker" was restricted to
special labroatory experiments, till Bill said he freezes warm water more
quickly than cooler water in his "refrigerator freezer". So, I tried it
today. I dont know any more now than when I started.

Jerry