Doug Miller

In article , "Chuck Hoffman" wrote:
This has become an obvious standoff and it will serve no purpose to continue
it.

ROTFLMAO!! It's a "standoff" only because you won't [cant'?] answer the
question.

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:14:26 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"
wrote:

For the critics, I've been in electronics for 40-some years and have been

technical school instructor. And I worked for an electric utility. I

do,
in fact, know what I'm talking about.

I, also have been in electronics for more than 40 years. I have a
pretty good idea of what I'm talking about, too. I've known all sorts
of people over those years; some with the golden finger who didn't
even need schematics to fix complex equipment but who couldn't pour
**** out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

I've known people that couldn't pass a Morse code exam if it was sent
one character every two minutes but who could teach brilliantly.

And now I know someone with more background and experience perhaps
than I have who can't explain a simple concept involving a single
phase, two pole, center-tapped electrical circuit without complicating
it beyond measure, and then when trying the simple answer gets it
completely WRONG.

Now let's talk about your comments. First you say:

"Phase angle, as a concept, is perfectly suited for all sorts of
theoretical discussions...."

It is far more than theory, I'm afraid. It's an important consideration
when working with multi-phase circuits. Then you say:

Excuse me, but when you're discussing phase angles, AC circuits,
impedance, etc., THEORY is EXACTLY what you're talking about. Or, to
be even more precise, anything involving the movement of electrons is
electrical theory. Want me to prove my point? Let's discuss current
flow; electron or conventional current?

"Opposite legs have opposite values (because they are 180° out of

phase)"

That seems diametrically opposed to your first disdainful comment. It

is,
however, precisely the point I was making.

But the issue at hadn is a special circumstance; it is the set of
properties that becomes simple, additive arithmetic when the phase
angle is 180°. It uniquely occurs in the center tapped, two pole
circuit that is residential house wiring. Discussion of other phase
angles overly complicates the simple additive (albeit with negative
numbers) process required to understand and calculate resultant
current in a two pole, shared neutral circuit.

You also said:

"I don't recall J-factor in the NEC.

I've known people who could recite the NEC chapter and verse but had no

clue
about the physical properties of electricity or AC circuit analysis. Do

you
really understand alternating current and its physical properties ?

Yes, I'm afraid I do. But with all your experience and expertise,
explain this:

That WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential
overload.

That was your response to a question about running a 120V load on one
half of a 240V circuit. I said then:

This is the part that Doug describes as utter nonsense. And he's
right. The ONLY current on the neutral would result from the
connection across one LEG of the 230V circuit (to get 115V). There is
NO current in the "neutral" of a 230V circuit because there is no
"neutral" in a 230V circuit.

And I stand by that question; how do you explain this?

You should have left well enough alone.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

--
Regards,