Todd Fatheree

"David G. Sizemore" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:
I don't know much about the NEC, but I do understand polyphase
circuits (4 years of EE in college). I don't think I've ever heard
the term J-factor. What is it?

The "J" factor is the square root of -1. No, really.
it is mainly used for plotting how voltage/current leads/lags
current/voltage in inductive or capacitive circuits. I am no
electrical/electronic engineer, just a simple tech with enough knowledge
to know that everyone's argument is "a little" right.

Well, I'm not an EE, but where I went to engineering school, sqrt(-1) = i.
I also can't find a reference for it via Google. Do you have a reference
for it? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've never heard of it, and
I've been exposed to enough EE back in my school daze to know what reactance
is and power factor and some of that cool polyphase stuff.

todd