jim rozen

In article , Paul Batozech says...

I agree Jim, my day job is process instrumentation, mostly online GC's.
It's all pretty much SS tubing, from 1/16" up to 1/2". All the NPT
fittings get teflon tape, and properly applied easily seals 3000 psi He
and H2. Galling is a problem with the regular teflon tape but lately
we've been using a nickel impregnated type. That's all but eliminated
galling for us. The teflon paste stuff works well, but as you say can be
messy, and I find if one doesn't allow it to set up overnight one ends
up with weepy joints.

Probably most of those fittings are swagelock, or VCR though,
right? I do a fair amount of rough-n-ready vaccum work in my
line (cryogenics) and there's almost always some NPT stuff
somewhere along the line. The teflon tape has always worked
fine. I've never come across nickel impregnated though, I'll
keep my eyes out.

Jim

please reply to: