John Rumm

Default Growing sugar or salt crystals in a jam jar

Peter Scott wrote:

BTW slow evaporation works best. Get a super solution
then leave in a steady temp for a few weeks. Copper sulphate
is brilliant but you might not get hold of it.

I remember having good results as a kid with a solution of sodium
silicate and water (about 1:6 IIRC). Various substances can be used to
grow either a freely supporting crystal "garden" or just a single
crystal on a string.

Things like copper sulphate work very well (blue crystals), cobalt
chloride is very striking as well (deep red). There were various others
that I forget which gave other colours. ISTR you could use epsom salts
as well.

--
Cheers,

John.