Joseph Meehan

rf wrote:
I am adding a garage attached to my house. Because I'm handicapped I
must have the garage level with the house and can't put a step
between the garage and the house. Apparently code requires a step up
to the house to avoid carbon monoxide escaping fromj the garage into
into the house.

Step one is to find out what the local code really says. Next, if it
is a problem, then check with the code enforcement staff and see if they
know of an way around it for your situation. Next would be to contact the
local elected official and see what they have to suggest.

If it is needed for safety or protection of the building (like to
prevent melting snow from flowing into the home) then I doubt if it will be
waved for your condition, but they may have some suggestions.

BTW CO is lighter than air at most temperatures so that would not be the
reason. However water and many hydrocarbons like propane are heavier.

I have room for a very small "mudroom" between the house and the
garage but this doesn't obviate the requirement for the step. Can
anyone think of another way to prevent carbon monoxide infiltration
from the garage to the house?

Any advice would be appreciated.

RF

--