Pop

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
I too would consult the ADA, If your building dept. can't
make this
work for you, I'm sure the ADA would have a law suit for
them. If
nothing else works, install the step as they want it, get
your
C.O., then rip it out and build a ramp

I would imagine a ramp would comply. What they are looking for
is a
differential in height so the CO would stay at a level below
the
living area. Of course, knowing the conflicting codes and
laws we
have, I'd not bet money on it.

I don't know the reason for the step, but if it's code, it's
"gotta be", unless as suggested ADA has something to say about
it, which I doubt. The step isn't to confine CO, however, and it
should probably be dropped from this thread. Any one of you who
had a CO detector should know CO islighter than air, and should
be mounted closer to the ceiling, per included instrauctions.
Unless you're one of those who has to be told RTFM, anyway. In
which case, RTFM! IMO, it should be above head level, so the
alarm goes off before the CO reaches low enough to trigger the
alarm, so low ceilings become problematic, but ... that's all
still irrelevant to the code issue. Even if CO were heavier than
air, it still wouldn't be necessary to "confine" it as the code
required garage floor drain would allow it to get out quite
easily. If there's no drain then the floor must ... and on and
on and on and ...

I went out and checked: My garage floor is below the entry floor
by about 4 inches, but ... the laundry room, which the entry
leads to, is lower than the garage floor. In fact, the room it
leads to, now a laundry room, used to be a garage at one time.
The it's two steps up into the house proper. I'm in far upstate
NY.