Pop

PJX wrote:
After reading the above responses, I think you should at least
try
raising the pump and see if it runs less often thus extending
its
life. I also like the idea of gravel being used to prop it
up.
That should reduce (slightly) the amount of moisture escaping
into
the air making for a less humid basement.

That may or may not be worth trying, but it can't hurt much:
EXCEPT, do NOT use gravel to raise it up. Sand, gravel, dust,
etc., should not be allowed to enter the pit to extend the life
of the exposed parts. Same for salt, lime, soaps, bleach, etc..
Only water should be allowed in the pit, so if you need to raise
it, use something solid which won't shed into the water.
It would be better to suspend the pump by the bracket on top.
We typically get 10 to 14 years on our sump pumps (have only had
two since we've been here, so that's an average of, uhh, two
pumps? g. The first one, a piece of wood got into the pit and
jammed the float; stopped the motor from shutting off: had a
houseful of smoke, but no damage. When a sumbersible isn't
submerged to the specified depth, it gets hot. And when there's
no water, it really gets hot!! Self destructively hot, so be
sure it's submerged to the point recommended by the mfg. Many
brands do not require submersion, though; check which one you
have if you're concerned about that area.

Regards,

Pop