Fred McKenzie

I can get a rectofier at radio shack for 5 bucks. I can build the
enclosure out of steel and weld it togther myself.

I need soemone to explain how the circuitry works for a newbie like me.
For instances, what does a transformer do? I mean why couldnt you just
wire directly into the rectofier?

Stryped-

You certainly have the right attitude. Yes, all the answers can be found here
or elsewhere on the web, but there is also a lot of misinformation along with
the warnings about killing yourself!

The best suggestion so far, has been to look for a copy of the ARRL Handbook.
Your local library should have other resources as well.

You should be aware that rectified DC across the filter capacitor may be close
to one and a half times the transformer's AC voltage. If you don't understand
this, then you need to look it up in the Handbook.

The suggestion to modify a computer power supply may be a good one. I recall
seeing an article on how to do that, but don't remember where. You might
search for it with Google.

As a learning experience, you might try a simple power supply with no
regulator. If you could obtain a transformer that would supply the right
voltage at sufficiently high current, you could rectify it and filter the DC
with a large computer-type capacitor. If the output voltage doesn't exceed
about 14 volts DC with nothing connected to it, there might still be about 12
volts under load. If not, then try a bigger capacitor!

73, Fred, K4DII