Derek Andrews

Andrew Barss wrote:
My Nova has been offline for a while, and I'm reassembling it. Despite
the fact that I ddi it once, and I have the same manual in front of me,
I'm missing something.

There are two headstock studs, threaded for M12 at the ends, protruding
from the headstock. The motor flange (this is the Leeson 1.5 hp motor)
has one hole, for one headstock stud, and an arc through which the second
stud goes (motor pivots on the former stud).

According to the manual, the motor mount csm (the teardrop-shaped
casting) goes over the second headstock stud, and the position of the
motor is changeable by loosening the T-bar, puling it toward you (to
loosen the belt), then tightening the T-bar.

The problem: This gives no connection between the cam and anything else
-- the cam will rotate on the headstock stud, but since it isn't connected
to the motor in any way, I don't see how the motor is supposed to move.

The motor flange has a square recess around the arc which the cam fits
into. It looks pretty obvious to me when it is all assembled. This is
just a guess, but have you perhaps mounted the motor on the wrong side
of the flange? That would obscure the square slot, though I doubt it is
possible to fit it to the lathe that way.

I found this picture online:
http://www.spincityimaging.com/run/motormount.htm

I hope that helps.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning