Nova

Mark Jerde wrote:

Well...... ;-) I made it 2/3 rds of the way to a mechanical engineering
degree before switching to computer science. As an "inganeering" student I
lernt alot about "conservation of energy" and the like. ;-)

If you hook up a 1 HP motor and it turns the band saw at "X" FPM, and then
you hook up a 2 HP (or 10 HP or 100 HP or 10M HP) motor and it also turns
the saw at "X" FPM, what is the larger motor doing to consume more
electrons? Radiating heat? Shooting arcs in the air? Writing its
congressperson? It takes the same amount of power to spin the same machine
at the same speed, so if there is a difference in electrons sacrificed by
the different sized motors it has to be due to efficiency differences in the
motors and/or the motors sending the electrons off to do other things.

snip

Start up current. Have you ever seen a 2 HP motor wired for 110 volts dim the
lights while it spins up? I agree that once the motor spins up the running
current difference is only that needed to keep the more massive armature turning
and overcoming more friction of the larger bearings of the bigger motor, but I
imagine you could run a 1/2 HP motor for 15 minutes on the current drawn by 2 HP
motor on start up alone.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA