Peter T. Keillor III

On 23 Dec 2004 17:38:58 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , larry g says...

Teflon tape is not a sealant it is a lubricant. It is used to lubricate
tapered pipe threads so that they will tighten easily without galling and
seal as designed. IN CASE SOME ONE MISSED THE POINT TEFLON TAPE IS A
LUBRICANT!

Well, here's one vote for just plain 'ol teflon tape. I've
used it for years, for all kinds of gas/water/vacuum applications,
and never had any trouble with it.

Properly applied it will produce a helium mass-spec leak tight
connection with NPT fittings - brass, stainless, copper, or
any combination of the above.

The other kinds of pipe dope compounds work too, like the SWAK
with PTFE particles in it. But I find the teflon tape to be
neater and more reliable.

Jim

Except with stainless on stainless. It doesn't always prevent
galling. The stuff for that is Loctite PST.

Pete Keillor