lp13-30

Default Cement fiber siding question

I am going to be installing cement fiber siding on an addition I am
building onto a future rental property that I own. My question is:: Is
there much/any difference between brands? Around here, everyone refers
to all cement fiber siding as "Hardie", just as they call all tissues
"Kleenex", and soft drinks "Coke". Yesterday I happened to notice some
at a building supply store that gets a lot of closeout, one of a kind,
slightly damaged etc stuff. I do not remember the brand name, but it was
7 1/4" by 12' pieces for $2.99 each. The same thing in Hardie is about
$5.-$5.50 each. The stuff looked OK. It was possibly very slightly
thinner than Hardie, but not that much. Really, is there much that can
happpen to that type of siding-- crumbling/deteriorating over time,
cracking etc? Obviously, I do not want to buy junk, but if it is close
to as good as good as the major brand for just slightly over half the
price, I would be interested. I am going to call the store today, or
stop by there and get the name of the stuff so I can check into it
further, but I would appreciate any advice I can get from anyone with
more experience in this product than I have, (Shouldn't be too hard to
find, as I have none). Thanks, and a very Merry Christmas to every one!!
Larry