Adrian Brentnall

Hi Richard

On 23 Dec 2004 20:09:32 -0800, wrote:

So Adrian,
Is this a fast click click at the same speed that the CD is spinning
and not in the speakers (something with the motor or drive) or a
slower random click in the speakers (something possibly in the power
supply)

The first one g - it's regular - perhaps a little bit faster than
the 'once-a-second' tick from a clock.

All I've done so far is to investigate the problem without removing
the case...... I'm not sure that one could operate the thing with the
case off as the lid appears to be a fairly integral part of the
mechanism - though prehaps the case comes off leaving the lid in situ
- dunno....

Took the Sharp apart - but couldn't see anything obviously
disconnected inside - does everything it should but the flourescent
display is blank...

Is it a flourescent glowing display ( check voltage on the display
module itself often marked on the pc board.) or back lit LCD display (
possible blown bulb)

I'm pretty sure it's a flourescent display. The inside of the unit
looked like a 'science fair' project - lots of pcb's held together
with blind faith, witchcraft and hot-melt glue. I gave the various
interconnecting plugs & sockets a tentative wiggle - but nothing
exciting happened.

Trouble is - life's a bit short for spending lots of time on either of
these units. The Sharp (CD-S370E) is a nicer unit - has a 'real'
volume control rather than a digital one, and better eq adjustment -
but it's a bit bigger (and has no display, at the moment....g)
In a way, that probably doesn't matter, as, during healing, you don't
sit & watch the display - so perhaps it's actually ideal for this
application ....?

OTOH the little Aiwa could go out into the glass workshop - where
ambient is usually noisy enough that you'd not notice the ticking
sound......

Anyway - the priority Christmas project is to hook up my old electric
organ to the PC and record some hymns for Church, then build Elektor's
CD Controller (= Pandora's Box) so that I don't have to site & play
organ every Saturday in 2005......

Busy life - innit ?

Happy Christmas & thanks for your comments
Adrian
Suffolk UK