Ed Sirett

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:01:51 -0800, r.rain wrote:

Hello All

Apologies for the long posting - need to let off some steam!

Just having my kitchen fitted at the moment and have a few questions
I'd like to ask this group.

1. Would you expect if a fitter drilled a hole in the wrong place for a
handle which shows from the inside of the cupboard that you should get
a new replacement door?
It appears my fitters have done this on 2 doors, to me this is shoddy
workmanship and I want 2 new doors, is this unreasonable?

It's clearly not the greatest workmanship. However if there is no problem
with the outside of the door and the handle is on solidly I think you are
asking too much.

If you want a better job then you should have done it yourself. I usually
make up a jig from a couple of bits of 'contiboard' the few minutes it
takes are quickly repaid getting the holes all in the right position,
easily.

2. I have an integrated baumatic double oven, however the oven doesn't
fit very well in the housing. By this I mean they have fitted a small
strip of wood as a filler at the top and put an old piece of wood
underneath the oven which is actually visible if you crouch down. It
appears also that this bit of wood has bent some metal things at the
bottom which I was told were vents that needed to be kept clear is this
true? and would you say this is exceptable fitting? I personally think
its a pile of crap but what do I know about kitchen fitting!

Not every oven fits perfectly into every housing. Most oven housing units
allow for a lot of repositioning within about 15mm or so. However if they
have damaged the oven that one's down to them to put right. There are lots
of ways of getting the oven into a housing and making it look neat and not
damaging it.

3 The worst problem of all is that the fitters have actaully hacked off
plaster on my newly plastered chimney breast to make a unit fit, this
has ruined the plaster on the face of the chimney breast and also looks
bloody orrible as there is a 1 inch gap between the unit and the
unplastered wall where you can actually see the bonding compound. This
was down to the fact that the kitchen was measured up before it was
drylined and of course after drylining the measurments were different,
I did request that the kitchen company who shall remain nameless at
this point should re-measure but they decided not too.

Sounds like the poor chaps have tried (and largely suceeded) in getting
the kitchen units into a wrong sized room. Their management is the real
culprit here...

Anyway if the fitters cant rectify this how do I stand on getting the
company to sort this all out seeing as Ive paid them all their money
now!

It's going to be difficult in practice but you do have a case for the oven.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk