Martin H. Eastburn

Grant Erwin wrote:

Mike Henry wrote:

Grant - are you sure about 50 Hz power in Canada? I spent some time
there 30 years ago (no, not avoiding the draft) and seem to recall it
was 60 Hz and I have a vague recollection that power can be shared
across the border. Could be wrong on both counts, though.

Nope, I'm *not* sure. But I think so. I also live in NW Washington, right
up next to BC, and I see a lot of 50Hz salvage motors that the salvage
guys describe as Canadian. That works to my advantage if they don't know
the motors work on US power.

Anyway, I'm really often wrong. But 50Hz motors certainly exist, and
is certainly the standard in England.

Grant

Europe and Japan. - Maybe elsewhere.

Older English areas - South East Asia places...

When I was with an ATE company - automated Test Equipment - we had to have
50 and 60 hz and many voltage types of inputs.

Tape drives had to have new wheels, pulleys, ..... Fans had to be different.

Motors are maybe 70% strength if 50hz on a 60 hz line. They also tend to heat more.

I know a large German handler - about the size of a good living room - maybe larger -
many parts in parallel - the machine was something else, but didn't function just
like they liked and they decided to switch out the 50 hz motors to 60 and the
machine came up to speed and quality.

I bet they came off machinery (asia based or eu based) and were swapped out to work.
Then dump the motors on the local market.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer