Gerald Miller

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:00:33 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
snip
If you live in the US then the power is 60 cycles per second, or 60 Hz. If
you live in Canada, then the power is 50 Hz. Motors made for 50 Hz. have
more
copper in them than motors made for 60 Hz. and as such are more desirable.
Some guys don't know that almost any 50 Hz. motor will run fine at 60 Hz.
and most 60 Hz. motors will work on 50 Hz.

snip

Grant - are you sure about 50 Hz power in Canada? I spent some time there
30 years ago (no, not avoiding the draft) and seem to recall it was 60 Hz
and I have a vague recollection that power can be shared across the border.
Could be wrong on both counts, though.

Mike

Many years ago (1950 ?) the last ares of 25Hz power were switched over
to 60Hz. I have never seen 50Hz although the odd 50 Hz motor does show
up at yard sales.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada