Morten

Default Dry atmosphere problem

Hi John

"John Andrews" wrote in message
om...
Recently moved into a new house - wife and I both experiencing
problems with dry skin for first time in our lives! We think it's
caused by a very dry atmosphere in the house. Obvious steps like
keeping lots of windows open aren't having any immediate effect,
although we've only been there for a week.

Do you have any live plants, they're excelent for controlling humidity in
dry'ish houses, just keep them well watered and they should get the humidity
up to descent levels in no time.

You could also go for a special humidifier controlled by a humidistat and
set the relative humidity to about 45-55 %, that should be the best humidity
according to all the experts.

I have lots of live plants, underfloor heating and good ventilation, so i
can keep the humidity about 50%. I do have a dehumidifier running on a
humidistat that cut out below 50% humidity if the humidity gets to high and
that works excelent.

You could also start drying your clothes inside your house that will soon
get the humifity up :-)

I know that previous owners used to run a dehumidifier regularly - I'm
speculating whether this can in some way dry out the fabric of the
house to the extent that it takes a while to get back to normal.

I guess it could do that, but you would have to run the house pretty dry to
do that and then you would get all sorts of problems with warping floors,
doors and wooden furniture, plus it would be pretty unconftable live in if
the humidity gets to much below 20%

How hot is your house?

/Morten

---