Y knot

I use two sump pumps connected by 1 1/2" pvc to a single check valve and
discharge. One is set lower than the other and both are set to run below the
inflow pipes. They (submersibles) are adjustable if you buy the type that
uses a float bulb switch.
Keep in mind that if you are not pumping the water out that it is still
there behind the walls/floor and the tiles around the house are full. Your
house then sits in a puddle.
"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just installed my 3rd sump pump in 14 years. Granted, that's
probably better than some, but since high water is typically not a
problem in my neighborhood, I think I should get more life out of these
pumps.

This pump failed 3 days ago. I didn't have time to replace it
immediately, so I just kept an eye on the water level until I had a
chance to buy a replacement. Over the 2 days it was out, I made what I
consider to be a startling observation. The water level rose during
the first day, as expected (the pump runs frequently when it's working,
so rising water didn't surprise me). However, it appears to have
topped out at about 12" from the top. This caused me to wonder if I
would be better off raising the height at which the pump starts so that
it starts only when it exceeds this 'natural' level. I'm speculating
that this could result in a considerable savings in both electricity
and wear and tear on the pump.

Am I off the wall on this? Is this common practice? How would one go
about this with a submersible pump? Could I put it up on blocks? Or
is there a way to adjust the float? (memory doesn't provide me with
any clues because I didn't look at it with that in mind when I
installed it) Would there be issues with stagnant water in the pit?
Any other considerations?

Thanks,
Mike