Adrian,
Funny we just transfered our Aiwa LCX-100U to the kitchen because it
kept skipping and needed to be reprogrammed each time to "repeat"
during massage therapy sessions. It turned out the lens just needed to
be cleaned.

As to your problem I've had this happen before when either the spindle
got pushed in too far (those that are press fit ) causing the CD to
touch part of the mechanism or the shock mount got moved. Usually from
being dropped. They are rubber grommets that mount the motor and would
require some disassembly to get to. That it goes away after 15 min
might be because the optical head is in a different position?
BTW we replaced the Aiwa with a Sony CMT-EX1 we got on eBay and have
been very happy with it.

Richard