The Natural Philosopher

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis)
equipment which can receive broadcast programme services. That
includes not only the tuner inside your telly, but also the tuner
inside your video; it would also include a PC card, which is
another "tuner".

I don't believe this is true. It is what the TV Licensing often
tell you, but that doesn't make it true.

Well, that's what it states on the back of the licence itself, in
writing:

You need a TV licence to install or use any equipment

now pay attention.......

to receive television programme services

This, if the equipment can, but is not, used to receive TV services, no
license fee is payable.

It does NOT say 'install or use any equipment whoich COULD receive TV
services, nor is non visual broadcast - radio - mentioned either.

Someone years ago had a run in with theBoys abot a TYV thta was only
used as a Sincliar Spectrim monitor. They claimed it had no aerial and
got away with it.

Detector vans are a myth anyway.

I dount they can actually pick up a working TV

-- for example a
television set, video recorder, set-top box, PC with a
broadcast card or any other TV receiving equipment.

So if it's an illegal statement, they're doing it in writing -- which
strikes me as unlikely, as I'd have thought it would have been
challenged in court by now.