willshak

On 12/23/2004 3:08 PM US(ET), GTO69RA4 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

My 24" Sharp TV periodically turns dark. The way I get it to come back to a
normal screen is to smack it real hard on the side of the cabinet. It will
then be all right for a week or two then it happens again and then I smack
it again. What is your opinion of this problem, is it on its way out, and
is it worth repairing.
Thank you all for your help.

99% of the time it's a loose connection, probably a bad solder joint on the
flyback where it's connected to the board. Not a time-consuming thing to fix.
I've do all my own, but I think the last person I talked to who had this done
said it was $40.

I would, however, recommend that a tech fix this if didn't have the experience
to diagnose it in the first place. Not safe. It's very easy to get killed with
the electricity stored in the tube and power caps.

GTO(John)

We have had 2 RCA TVs at one time. All the same 19" model. They both
have had to go to the repair shop to fix a board where the antenna cable
attaches. One had even been back for replacement twice.
I have the last of them here by my computer. It is starting to act up
again on channels 2 and 3 (the rest are OK). Channel 2 is unviewable and
makes a loud electrical noise. Channel 3 is viewable but has the wavy
lines running across the screen. Channel 2 is CBS (The Communist
Broadcasting System), so I don't care about that one so much. Channel 3
is HBO. Whenever they act up, I just slam my open hand onto the screen
and it clears up for a while.

--
Bill