Default Use for digital camera haven't seen documented

Wife showed me two keepsakes she keeps as momentos of her folks. A
ceramic painted 5" sphere with holes for stems of whatever flower and
a ceramic dog that her father bought to remind him of the dog that
adopted him that they had for years. I suggested taking a picture of
each to put on an envelope with the history of the item inside for the
kids when they get the items during estate distribution. Same concept
could be used for tools, jewelry, furniture, whatever.