willshak

On 12/23/2004 10:43 AM US(ET), Dick Smyth took fingers to keys, and=20
typed the following:

I had precisely the same situation in my basement where I needed access =

to=20
wiring and plumbing. I installed a suspended ceiling. The cost was not o=

ut=20
of line and the job was easy to do. I think it's much better than standa=

rd=20
ceiling tile. In fact the other half of the basement has regular tile a=

nd I=20
am planning on taking it out and using a suspended ceiling even though t=

here=20
is no need for access there.
Hanging the support struts is a lot less work than nailing in lath strip=

s. .
One thing to watch...
You need manoeuvring room for the panels. The struts for the panels have=

to=20
be at least 6 inches below the joists.
=20

Not necessarily. In my basement, the height between the joists and the=20
face of my panels is 3". They are lifted just enough to clear the tracks =

and then slid to the side. If I have to remove a panel, I just remove=20
one of the short pieces of track.

"barry martin" wrote in message=20
news:1460767567.1309.56.2692548.1774782460.RIMEGa ...
=20

Scott:

S I have a utility room that I am finishing. One of the last pieces =

is=20
what
S type of ceiling to install. I originally was going to put in a dro=

S ceiling, but am now considering throwing up some 1x3s and attaching=

=20
ceiling
S tile. My reasons are that it will be an easier install, cheaper an=

d=20
will
S probably look nicer. My hesitation on this is that it would be nic=

e=20
to hav

S the suspended ceiling in this room to easily be able to get at wher=

e=20
the
S electrical runs from the circuit box are, as the main circuit box i=

s=20
in thi

S rooom and all the circuits in the house run from this room.
S What are people's feelings towards having this easily accessible vi=

a=20
S suspended ceiling as opposed to having to remove some pieces of=20
"permanent"
S ceiling tile if there were to be a problem/upgrade needed=20
electrically?

If there is even the remotest possibility I would need to access above
the ceiling I would try to have a passageway. How about a removable
panel like what is frequently used to get into an attic? You could
have your less expensive permanent ceiling with the convenience of a
suspended ceiling for access.

-
=AF barry.martin=FEAT=FEthesafebbs.zeppole.com =AE

* The tongue must be heavy indeed, because so few people can hold it.
---
=FE RoseReader 2.52=E1 P003186
=FE The Safe BBS =FE Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
=FE RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD * =20
=20

=20

--=20
Bill