Kalico

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:59:12 +0000, Ian White
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The only real way is not to have any broadcast receiving apparatus, so
use a monitor not a TV to watch your videos, played from a machine that
also does not have any broadcast receiving circuitry.

All of which is easier, or cheaper, to say than to do.

A simple solution might be to physically seal the aerial sockets of the
TV and VCR by filling them with epoxy or hot-melt glue; and of course to
remove any unused TV aerial from outside the house.

I like that idea and did consider squirting some GripFil in there but
thought that was a bit drastic since I will want to use it for TV at
some point in the future (and yes, will buy a license then).

The same reason is why I will not remove my aerial. I do not think
that is necessary for 'prove' I do not watch TV.

The objective is to do something simple and physical, that any
"reasonable" person would see as obvious proof that TV reception has
been thoroughly and permanently disabled[*]. If you then put it in
writing, include pictures, and send it all to TVL with proof of
delivery, I should think you could safely ignore them forevermore.

Apparently, they would leave me alone for about 3 months before
starting all over again - hence my original post about why I should
even bother telling them I do not need a license.

There are two different standards operating here. To stop TVL from
pestering you, it seems that you have to prove your innocence beyond
reasonable doubt... way, way way beyond or so it seems. But securing a
conviction in court is a different matter - IANAL, but it seems to me
that the burden of proof would then fall back onto TVL, to prove your
guilt beyond reasonable doubt. Physically sealing the aerial sockets
would seem to create enough doubt to prevent that ever happening.

But if I did seal the sockets I would have to let the inspector into
the house to view the arrangement - something most others advise
against doing.

[*] Yes, we all know there are ways to get around a sealed aerial
socket, or even more drastic measures - but we are DIYers and techies,
so by definition not reasonable people at all :-)

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply