Mike Marlow

"BillyBob" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

As far as pressure on PVC. I hear you. The original design was
thought to only have to use 5 or 10 PSI. It looks like it typically
needs 20 to 40 PSI. I don't think that is a problem based on the fact
that PVC pipe is used on water pipes in some cases and they are in the
50 psi area (and I THINK the walls on those types of pipe are thinner).

Transport of a compressible gas (air) is far more hazardous than transport
of water, because the rapid expansion of the air at failure will indeed

send
pieces flying. I did a quick search and found a clear warning from a
company that is in the business of selling services for PVC pipe. They do
not recommend its use for air.

http://www.harvel.com/pipeclearpvc-caution.asp

If it were me, I'd abandon the idea of PVC for use of any pressurized air
application.

Bob

I wouldn't necessarily go quite that far yet Bob. Typically that mean they
recommend against it for pressurized air lines from the compressor. In
other words - full working pressure lines that commonly reach above 150psi.
I'd look a little further before assuming that this application - Schedule
40 at 40 psi is included in what you read. I'm trying to think of some
application that uses Schedule 40 at these pressures on a regular basis, but
nothing is coming to mind.
--

-Mike-