TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had my roof redone and I am concerned that the sheathing
(plywood) on some parts of the roof needed to be replaced but were not.
I had two layers of shingles removed and requested that any sheathing
that needed to be replaced be replaced.

How does a roofing contractor determine that roof sheathing needs to be
replaced ?
- Is a soft spongy feeling when walking between rafters an indication
that plywood needs to be replaced ?
- Does separating plywood indicate a problem ?
- Does soft wood indicate a problem ?
- What are the long term implications of not replacing the sheathing
that exhibit the above characteristics ?
Thanks,

Warren

This is Turtle.

I'm not a Roofing contractor but through the years I have seen some of the older
roofing contractor check roofs out. The way they really check them out is to
pull all the shingles off and walk on it and hit it with a hammer and see if it
sponges or pops through with the hammer. This question should have been
addressed at the time the shingles were off it to see. Yes, I know hindsight is
always better than forsight.

Now you only have the option of walking on it to see if there is any sponging or
falling through of places on the roof now that the new shingles are on it. Any
human less that 200 pounds should walk on a roof and not feel spongy places on
the roof.

So take a walk on it and see.

TURTLE