John Rumm

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

I did, in fact, acknowledge that in the paragraph which everybody seems
to have snipped from my original post:

In other words, if you've *installed* a TV -- or a video
machine -- you need a licence for it. The only exception
I've heard of is if you can demonstratae that its capability
for receiving programmes has been disabled (and probably
permanently disabled, by removing the tuner and turning it
into a monitor).

You keep coming back to this, but TVL's own web site explicitly says
that if you only have a TV for use with games, prerecorded videos etc.
then you do not need a license.

IIRC it even goes so far as to say you can watch videos of broadcast
stuff so long as they were made by someone with licensed equipment.

I still suspect that simple de-tuning and not connecting an aerial
would be regularly challenged by the licencing people -- "Our officers
would like to check that your untuned TV receiver has remained
untuned". So the easiest way to "prove" disablement would be to
permanently disable the tuner in some way.

They may like to think that, but I can't see it sticking in court.

--
Cheers,

John.