Mike Harrison

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:42:14 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

On 22 Dec 2004, Andy Burns wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis)
equipment which can receive broadcast programme services.

But by being detuned and without an aerial lead it *cannot* receive
broadcast programme services!

I did, in fact, acknowledge that in the paragraph which everybody seems
to have snipped from my original post:

In other words, if you've *installed* a TV -- or a video
machine -- you need a licence for it. The only exception
I've heard of is if you can demonstratae that its capability
for receiving programmes has been disabled (and probably
permanently disabled, by removing the tuner and turning it
into a monitor).

I still suspect that simple de-tuning and not connecting an aerial
would be regularly challenged by the licencing people -- "Our officers
would like to check that your untuned TV receiver has remained
untuned".

To which you are perfectly entitled to reply "Sod off" They have no right of entry to check.