Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:30:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:55:19 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What if it was never turned on?

So what it is doing in your living room or bedroom? Buried at the back
of the loft under 1/2" of dust is another matter...

I cannot think you would need a license for just possessing a TV or
video.

Think a reasonable question would be 'why would you have a TV in a
room in your house if you *never* used it?'

Quite, if it was in a living area you'd have a hard job convincing a
"reasonable person" that you never switched it on.

I think in the end the individual magistrate will decide whether you
genuinely *never* watch off air progs, and only videos. And the
presence of an aerial or not doesn't mean much - an indoor type
could just be unplugged and put away.

And, IMHO, the watching of videos means the equipment is installed and
therefore requires a licence. End of story.

No, not end of story because the fact remains that I do not watch
broadcast TV on it.

What you are saying seems (I might be misreading) like capitulation.
Others have suggested I buy a monitor and DVD player etc, but why
should I? If you are saying that I should because it is easier and
will avoid confusion or any likelihood of problems then yes, you are
right, but you are also wrong.

Just because your car can go over 70pmh, I am sure you do not
frequently post off a cheque and your driving license for endorsement.
If they catch you speeding, then yes, face the music.

If they catch me watching broadcast TV then they can rightly throw the
book at me and I'll pay up without a single moan.

But I will not just give in to them and go out and spend my money on a
monitor or have to pay someone to rip out the tuner of my TV (even if
it were possible, which it is not always with single PCBs). Not a
case of beyond me (would hope not with a degree in Electronic
Engineering), but a case of why the hell should I?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply