Default How do you determine that roof sheathing(plywood) needs to be replaces

I recently had my roof redone and I am concerned that the sheathing
(plywood) on some parts of the roof needed to be replaced but were not.
I had two layers of shingles removed and requested that any sheathing
that needed to be replaced be replaced.

How does a roofing contractor determine that roof sheathing needs to be
replaced ?
- Is a soft spongy feeling when walking between rafters an indication
that plywood needs to be replaced ?
- Does separating plywood indicate a problem ?
- Does soft wood indicate a problem ?
- What are the long term implications of not replacing the sheathing
that exhibit the above characteristics ?
Thanks,

Warren

Thanks,

Warrne