effi

i've had one of those $10 units for about ten years now also, always works
well

as to negative comments on it, don't have any, but they say a bad carpenter
blames his tools...

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Daniel Prince wrote:
Are there any inexpensive stud finders that work well and are easy
to use on drywall walls? Thank you in advance for all replies.
in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about

it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

Andy replies:

I use a little battery operated stud finder that cost me $10. It
uses
the reflection of sound thru the drywall to locate the areas of high
reflection (when a stud is on the other side) and little LED lights to
tell you where it is. I have used it for 10 years, with great success.

If the wall it rough, I put a sheet of notebook paper on the wall so
the
studfinder has a smooth surface to slide over.

It is also fun to try and see what other things it will work on. By
messing
about with a few experiments, you can get a better feel for how it
works
on various things other than drywall --- some things well, some not at
all.....

Anyway, I think $10 is cheap for a lifetime instrument that I use
5 or 6 times a year.

Andy