RoyJ

Go buy a chop saw!!!! Harbor freight runs them on sale for $90 or so.

I ran masonary blades in my 7-1/2" skill saw as well as some metal
cutting blades in both the skill saw and my table saw. Works fine, tears
up the bearings from all the crud flying around. I have two cheap Skill
saws with loose main shaft bearings in my "do something with or toss"
pile. I wouldn't let my good ball bearing Skill saw near an abrasive blade.

One problem you will run into is that use start losing wheel diameter as
it wears. On the smaller 7-1/2" saws you run out of working room very
quickly. Most of the miter saws are 10" so that is less of a problem.
But keep in mind that the chop saws use 14" blades that are MUCH better.

I bought one of the el-cheapo chop saws, switched to some GOOD quality
14" abrsive blades I get at my welding supply place (NOT the HF or HD
quality ones!) and get very nice, very quick cuts. I've even munched
through a 5" 'I' beam in about 120 seconds

Ron M. wrote:

I want to put an abrasive metal-cutting wheel on a miter saw, to cut
mild steel angle with. Most of this will be 3/32" or 1/8" 1-inch angle.
Some say, "sure, no problem!" while others say, "the horror, the
horror..." The purpose is to cut a few pieces for some welding
projects. For example, cutting some angle steel at 45 degrees to make a
table top.

Now, before this goes any further, please do *NOT* tell me to "go buy a
chop saw" or "buy a used band saw" or whatever. I'm talking about a
miter saw ONLY, OK?

There are supposed to be two main issues with doing this:

First, it overloads the motor. But I don't think this would happen, if
you just use very light pressure and take your time and go slow.

Second, the shavings/sparks can damage the fence and/or the motor
mechanism (bearings). There may be some truth here. The fence shouldn't
be a problem, and I can always cover it with something. Particles? Some
suggest removing the vacuum. How about attaching the nozzle of my shop
vac just behind the blade and letting it catch them? Or maybe putting a
big magnet there, perhaps.

This isn't something I'll be doing often. Maybe once a month I'll make
3 or 4 cuts, at the most, no more. As I said, 99% is going to be
cutting 45 degree ends in 1/8" X 1" angle, so I can join them together
to make a square corner. That's it.

I use an abrasive blade in my circular saw for straight cuts, but it's
hard to cut accurate angles with it. I also have a Porter-Cable Tiger
sawzall, I don't think that would work well for this kind of cutting,
although I've never tried it.

Please give me a tip here, especially if you've actually done it, and
aren't just repeating what you've read or heard. And PLEASE don't tell
me to "go buy a chop saw"!!!

Thanks,
Ron M.