Gary

Hi,

This should be a good lesson for you! Keep spares..

I admit that sometime you run out of spares. But if you replace your stock
before it gets to low then you most probably won't have an emergency.

I try to keep my fence items on hand. Those dam animals don't know anything
about material science. Plastic does get brittle as the temp goes down but
the animal doesn't.

As for the quality of store personnel, we as a nation expect something for
nothing generally, Walmart is a good example. The price of items is
reflected by the support people needed to provide said items. So if you buy
from a Walmart, Menards' or where ever. You should expect to get service
that is reflected by the price you pay.

The class of people who work at the bargain price stores/suppliers tends to
be a younger non-experienced person. Some are just working to get by while
others are just working while still in school. Sure occasionally you will
get a older person who is just working to supplement the retirement income,
who might have some experience in the area. Even then you cannot depend on
that!

I see our local TSC is advertising for help with farm experience. Most
farmers I know don't have time to work in TSC or the like for the
advertised wages. Lot of the younger experienced hands wouldn't work for
that wage either. So they hire a person who has never worked on a farm let
alone step onto one.

I do not expect much from the clerks. I just want one that can point me to
the item I am requesting. Or get the item from stock. Even at this level it
can be a demanding task. Simple example, I was at the store in the cheese
section looking for some fetta. I asked a store clerk if they stocked it.
He said 'What's that?'. I explained what fetta cheese was and he had to go
to his supervisor (older about 45'ish). He didn't know! he called the deli
department. Sure enough it was stocked there about 100 feet away. Sure not
in their department but the idea of someone that works in a dairy
department doesn't know about dairy is absurd. But education for ones duty
is not necessary if all you do is move items from a cooler too the shelf.

Same goes for any area of the work place. Most people will do enough to just
get by. As another poster stated about the mom & pop hardware store. They
would go out of their way to help you. If they could provide something the
clerks would find a way to get the desired item or point you to another
provider if all else fails.

Regards and God speed,

Gary

The magic is in the Magician not the wand!