Roger Shoaf

jim wrote in message ...

To be honest, I haven't seen too many roof rafters of any size fail
tho I have seen some. Usually other factors contribute to this. But
lets face it, usually roof rafters don't fail as evidenced by the
older houses. I say "usually" not never.

I have 6 rental houses all built by the same guy. From the birds mouth to
the ridge they are a little over 10 feet and all of the 2X4 rafters have at
least 3/4" sag in the middle. They had no cross bracing or trussing of any
sort. I just rebuilt one of the roofs but this time I used steel rods to
jack the sag out of the roof. 1 down 5 to go.

The sag was not a failure per se. They were still supporting the sheeting
and were probably to code, but the sag made the roof look like hell.

Conversely, my residence built around the same time was built by a real
carpenter and the roof is nice and flat as he took the time and lumber to
build it right.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.