John Hines

What are the advantages of a plunge router versus a fixed table router?

A plunge router can "plunge" which is to say, penetrate into the middle
of the work, without starting at an edge. Useful for things like
mortices.

Personally, I found it less used than a fixed base unit.

I suppose something under $120 US dollars would be nice, but we would
be willing to spend more if necessary. Are there models which are dual
purpose -- perhaps they are a hand-held plunge router which can be
attached to a table to do fixed table routing?

Porter cable makes a good (great) router, which has plunge, standard,
and D-handle bases. You can buy a kit with all three, or get the bases
later as you need them.