jim

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:26:56 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

jim wrote in message ...

That depends on what the OP wants to do. I was trying to make
suggestions based on his post layout now. 2X4's 10 feet long on the
flat is a long span and over the years will sag again so the truss
will take out the sag for a long time.

Also if the rod ends are within the wood and the wood splits the rod
ends may not hold up well especially under tension loads. The trusses
will last longer tho maybe cost more ??

I really doubt the rod will split the wood. Assume you have a 1/4 hole
through the rails with a washer on top near the posts and the same near the
center on the bottom. The load is static and light. I would bet you could
support an engine block on the end of those two slender steel rods doncha
think? I like the steel with the turn buckle as you always can adjust it.

Depends on the tension loads on the rods and how well the wood where
the rod ends hold up under the hot sun (long term). I like the
inverted V's better for the long haul due to less maintenance but the
rods will work if the end connections are maintained and maybe if the
cost is low enough, this may be the preferred choice. My purpose in
my orig post was to suggest an alternative and I think I've done that.
Either way should work and the OP will have to decide which pro/con he
wants to live with.

If you were to use wood with an inverted V not much is going to stop the sag
of the truss timbers over time. (Think of 2X4 roof rafters)

To be honest, I haven't seen too many roof rafters of any size fail
tho I have seen some. Usually other factors contribute to this. But
lets face it, usually roof rafters don't fail as evidenced by the
older houses. I say "usually" not never.

Either way would however be satisfactory for a 3 foot picket fence, as would
adding a short post in the center supporting the lower rail. The down side
here is you gotta dig a hole and mix the cement.

I agree with you. I think you offered a lot of good suggestions to
begin with and I just offered one more alternative to one of them.
The OP should be able to decide and either way have a fence which is
better than the original design.