PVR

It is usually a good idea to scuff up the paint surface. It increases the
surface area to provide better adhesion. ICI/Glidden has a product called
'Gripper' which will stick to most things. For the topcoat use an Acrylic
based coating. Check at the store if they have an exterior grade of the
color(s) you want. Some fluorescent tubes emit low levels of UV and this can
cause the coating to loose gloss if it is not exterior grade.

Good luck.

Peter.

"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to paint over the standard "white" metal trim on
flourescent utility lights.

I was thinking of using fine sand paper to scuff up the surface and
then cover with several coats of the same eggshell finish and color
latex Benjamin Moore paint that we are using on the walls.

Is scuffing the surface sufficient preparation or do I need to use a
metal primer and/or another type of paint?

Thanks