Dave Plowman

Default backing box for wall light

In article ,
the yorkshire dalesman wrote:
What is the correct type backing box to put on a wall for wall lights.

The type of light I will want to fit would be probably one of the Ring
make lights (as sold in Homebase, B&Q etc) which are typically mounted
12 to 24 inches below the ceiling.

I lokked into one box & the instructions showed a backing box in the
wall without stating what type of box it should be.

The mounts on these lights appear to have holes 2in apart or so, so
bringing the cable out through a standard square backing box gives
mounting problems for the light fitting.

They're normally made to fit a BESA or conduit box. You could use either a
cast iron one if the fittings are heavy, or a plastic one if not. Some of
the sheds stock the plastic type (they're round) but I think you'll need a
wholesaler for the metal ones.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn