BillyBob

"Old Nick" wrote in message

- The motor is not running at synchronous spped eve with no load, so a
larger HP motor wil draw fractioannly more.

The difference is not that great at no load speed.

- The motor will run at near-synchronous until it stall, then it will
start to draw the (much) heavier "starting" current,

Typical loaded speed is 95% of synchronous speed. I don't know if that's
what you meant by "near-synchronous". However when it gets near stall
(break-down torque), the speed will be significantly slower. Breakdown
torque might typically occurs at 70% of synchronous speed - quite a bit
slower.

"4.2.2. Efficiency at Low Load

Your discussion of efficiency is accurate, but I don't think its relavent to
the context of the OP's question - concern for damage ("too much for my
little band saw"). Basically I was just saying that motor characteristics
are such that it won't hurt the saw, if you don't force the saw to do things
its not designed to withstand.

Bob