Martin H. Eastburn

gene lewis wrote:

Thank you all for your input so far.

I went to the library and got all the books I could find on power supplies,
and a couple of electronics textbooks. I've been slogging through the texts,
jeez I wish I had learned this stuff in school, when there was a teacher
around, to ask all my ?s!

I posted the basis of the power supply in the dropbox:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/anodizer.jpg

Changes I intend to make are as follows.
Add an isolation transformer
Add a keyswitch for extra safety, as I have a 3 year old, and even though
it'll be on a high shelf, you never know...
use a momentary switch (trigger)
add a cap. for smoothing
add a DC voltmeter
and an ammeter

My transformer is rated 115v in, 0-135v out. 3A max.
the bridge I got is a kbpc3506w , which is rated for 420v, 35A, with a 400A
peak surge.
These are the only components I have got so far.

I have tried to crunch the numbers, and if I'm doing it right, I think the
resistors need to be bigger to give me an output of 2A, and that the
wattage ratings listed are too low. However, I don't know what the
resistance of the anodizing bath itself will be.

If anyone would help me figure the values I need for the power resistors,
cap, and cap drain resistor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Remember when the wiper is 'full current' - the series resistors won't
keep the bridge or the expensive autotransformer from burning up. Place a
high wattage, low resistance such that a short at the load end does not
exceed the winding current allowed. (and the rectifiers as well).

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer