George E. Cawthon

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/20/2004 10:27 PM George E. Cawthon wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/20/2004 2:45 PM Bubba wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:30:12 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Is it a Tempstar, Keeprite, Heil, ICP furnace?
How about a model and serial number?
Bubba

Oh, I get it: making me /work/ for my free advice! Well, I can play
that game as well as anyone.

The furnace is labeled "Goodman Manufacturing Co," model GMP100-4
(rev B)

Mounted on the frontside, above the burners, is what appears to be a
squirrel-cage blower about 8'' across in an enclosure. The input side
faces into the furnace. This blower exits into a 5'' diameter round
metal (galvanized steel?) vent pipe that vanishes up into the ceiling
of the furnace closet.

When I turn on the heat, the sequence of events is:

WHIRRRRR (the turbine sound, comes from the squirrel-cage blower)
pause for 30 seconds
Tik-tik-tik (piezo starter)
"Whump" (gas ignites)
pause another minute or so
Vwoooooom (main furnace blower pumping air into the heating ducts)

After a short bit of time, the small 5'' duct gets hot. What do I
have here -- a furnace with a forced-air burner chamber exhaust?
Never had such a thing before.

Oh -- I forgot. In the morning, shortly following the "WHIRRRR" of
the small blower, you can hear the dead awakening and cursing the noise.

Yep, it is the inducer fan, induces a flow of air through the burn
chamber and up the chimney.

I've never had a furnace with an inducer fan. Was I just lucky? How does
an inducer fan affect the performance of a furnace? I mean -- why the
frick would someone want to mount such a noisy little bugger onto an
applicance which up until now I considered a fairly quiet device?

Sounds like you have an

exceptionally noise furnace. The burner on mine makes way more noise
than the inducer fan or the distribution fan. It is probably normal
for your furnace. A few kinks (of the sound trapping kind)in your
air system might be able to reduce noise distribution from your furnace.

The inducer fan's noise is not audible through the ducting. It comes
right out of the closet. Which has a louvered door. Exactly NOT the kind
of door I'd choose to use for sound-isolating.

Oh well, hell why didn't you say so. Oh, I guess you did.
Why do you have a louvered door? Is it part of the air
supply for the furnace. If not put something over the
louvers. If it is, then put in a separate air supply or fix
the louvers so that sound can't travel straight through.

The damned inducer is what you pay for having a higher
efficiency furnace. Is it worth it? Probably not.