TURTLE

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message
On 12/21/2004 6:35 PM HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi Mike, hope you are having a nice day

On 20-Dec-04 At About 09:05:02, Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote to All
Subject: Turbine in my furnace?

MRJSE From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
MRJSE j.michael.elliottAT@REMOVETHEOBVIOUSad elphiaDOT.net

MRJSE So what's the point of the inducer blower? Never had one on any other
MRJSE natural gas forced-air furnace I've lived with.

To put it simply it increases the efficiency. it allows for more heat
exchamger so you can wring out more heat before it goes up the chimney.

Okay -- it would be interesting to see the difference between "passive" and
inducer-blown heat exchangers.

I'd really like to reduce the noise output of the furnace. The burner gets its
air for combustion though the louved door, which also allows the sound of the
inducer blower to fill the house with its loud whine. The exhaust from the
inducer blower -- the combustion product -- is vented out of the closet
through a 5'' diameter steel pipe chimney to someplace I have not yet noticed,
probably up on the roof.

Clearly I cannot replace the louvered door with a solid door, as it would seal
the closet and provide no place to pull air from for combustion. I could put
on a solid door with a small opening -- probably would not need to be any
larger in cross-section than the exhaust pipe (about 16 square inches), but
that would still leave a path for inducer blower sound to exit the furnace
closet.

Something else: since the inducer blower sends exhaust out of the the house,
then replacement air must enter the house through cracks and other openings.
This does not contribute to overall efficiency.

So it might make sense to provide an combustion intake opening to the furnace
closet that comes from the outdoors. Outside air gets sucked into the closet,
through the combustion chamber/heat exchanger, and blown up the chimney by the
inducer blower. As mentioned in another fork on this thread, the furnace is
in a closet which sits on a concrete slab. It does not share a wall with the
outdoors. Since I don't have direct access to the outdoors from the closet,
how about using a solid door and running something like dryer exhaust tubing
from outside to provide air for combustion?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

This is Turtle.

This can be done to bring in air from outdoors by another sheet metal duct or a
flex duct run from the closet ceiling out to the attic or outdoors to bring in
air to burn. Then put a solid door and seal it. If you can have room to run a
supply duct to it. If you have a 5 inch vent pipe going to the roof you will
need atleast a 7 but a 8 inch supply air duct would be better to feed the
burners. Now if you was not taking the air to burn from your house and get it
from outside it would save on the heating bills.

If you want to discuss it e-mail me and talk.

TURTLE